September 2, 2008

We are the continuation of the Grand Tour.

AS I sit here on the third floor Belvedere, I look upon one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. The Belvedere is the balcony on the corner of the dormitory building that overlooks the green of our ten acres, including the refreshing vineyard, and mostly all inner city Rome. During the day, I can see the dome of St. Peters and, off in the distance, the ocean. And as day turns into night, a majestic pink sunset paints the sky and continuously illuminates the striking features of the tops of the city. And as I sip a glass of Aglianico Boccatino, I will tell you some more about UD's own Grand Tour.

I started classes yesterday. I apologize for not telling you sooner the thrills of the introductions to my Monday classes: Literary Traditions III from 8:00 to 9:30, Western Civilizations I from 9:45 to 11:15 and Art & Architecture from 11:30 to 1:00, though at the same time I have no regrets because truly the education of the Rome Program is best presented as a whole as each class is designed to truly prepare the mind for the search for Truth and in that way they work together.

Yesterday was magnificent. Dr. Roper presented a very objective argument in Literary Traditions III about the motives and actions of acting. The Romans thought it unlawful and, as our reading said, the Athenians as a whole city participated in the plays.

In Western Civilizations I, we looked to the Dawn of Civilization in 3000 B.C., preparing ourselves for rather dull reading, but deep and intense discussion, a discussion of the facts, not just "When?" and "Where?" but also "WHY?" Art & Architecture really drew together these classes as Dr. Flusche presented the architecture of the city, as ancient as it is, all over the world. She spoke of Roman design's migration, saying that the British elite would study there on their Grand Tours after university schooling and buy anything they wanted, through the intense studies. What struck me the most was when she said, "And in it's own way, you are the continuation of the Grand Tour." To discover the Eternal City, its design and beauty amoung many other things, and to roam around Europe is truly a continuation of the Grand Tour. Individually, we are on our own search, and as UD students, we know that.

This morning at 8:00 AM, Professor Blue introduced us to Philosophy of Man. We naively defined in our own standards what a soul is and Professor Blue guided us to understanding the basics. And at 9:45, Dr. Mark Lowery introduced to us Western Theology Traditions. This lecture was, without a doubt, one of the best lectures I have ever been too and it was just the introduction. He started by describing Rome as "ad limina apostalarum" or "to the threshold of the apostles" and through that he spoke of three major points: 1) Principle of Sacramentality, 2) Particularity / Universality, and 3) How Christianity did not fit in well in Rome during about 100 A.D. to 300 A.D. because it would not accept henotheism. It was very well said and entertaining. That class is already my favorite.

Well, I leave you know. I have told you about my classes and now I must busy myself with Aristotle's Poetics and readings from Herodotus, Plato, and Clement, not to mention lunch and a nap. :)

Pax vobiscum.

1 comment:

Dad29 said...

Good stuff!! Keep it up!