September 19, 2008

A Journal Entry - 09/17/08

Today was an amazing day. After an exhausting night the day before, I managed somehow to fall asleep in two of my favorite classes (all of the classes are my favorite, by the way). I was just so tired because I had gone to bed way later than usual - after I Skyped with two of my best friends on the Irving campus for a few hours. Now I lay in bed, way after my bedtime tonight, and I journal. Today I shared in some good drinking memories, bonding time, a campfire with good old American s'mores, and some Understanding. The start of my search for Truth is long gone, but the journey is really picking up... After spending the afternoon in class looking at, observing, grasping the Ara Pacis, the Altar of Peace, I found myself in Trinity College Irish Pub sipping from a pint of Guiness sharing in the developement of some of the best friendships of my life. I'm amazed by the beauty of every single person I meet. I spoke with my Literary Traditions III professor about my paper and I just started writing it a few minutes ago. I'm so fired up about that class. Through ancient Greek texts, I have found the slightest traces of God and I have a feeling that when I depart for Greece in 17 days, I will find more of Him there. In our texts, we find Aeschylus makes such a great emphasis on honoring the gods and their commands and though the message is not Christian at all, because we know our God would never demand us to kill our daughters or mothers, we can understand that. It's these pagan ways, however, in which we Catholics pick up many of our traditions. It is through such reverence and respect for our God that we obey His commands... It is truly remarkable the tiniest ways in which He reveals Himself to us. Later in the evening, I joined a large number of my peers around a campfire. It was a very communal moment and, in that, a light and beautiful touch of the Body of Christ. I finally made my way to the dorm at the end of the night and I was stopped by one of my professors. We shared a few laughs as he said goodnight and departed, a jovial and peaceful experience. I won't deny that it is hard to always be so happy and perceptive to God's ways, but just even being open to the glory of God works wonders, literally. Trust me though: if you can't find Him, He'll find ways of finding you.

No comments: